Which First-Year Writing Course Should I Take?

You can determine your placement by checking your Advising Transcript in Banner. A score of 3, 4, or 5 on the AdvancePlacement (AP) Language and Composition exam will give you credit for WRDS 1103 (WR03)Our AP research shows that all students need a foundation in First-Year Writing – particularly in terms of research and inquiry. Even if you are able to exempt WRDS with a 3, 4, or 5, we recommend that you take a WRDS course.

Most students will take WRDS 1104 (WR04). For the 2022-23 academic year, WRDS placement is determined by high school GPA. 

NOTE: The Writing, Rhetoric & Digital Studies Department does not override First-Year Writing placement. If you do not have a WR03 code, you must take WRDS 1104 (WR04). Contact First-Year Writing if you have questions about your placement.