Introducing Students to the WRC
Faculty, please feel free to use this blurb on your syllabus:
The Writing Resources Center (WRC) is a free tutoring service available to all students and can help you at any stage of your writing process—from invention to final polishing—for any academic, professional, or personal writing. For academic writing, always bring your professor’s assignment materials (instructions, rubric, etc.) to help you and the tutor understand the assignment. You can make appointments at https://uncc.mywconline.com/. For locations, operating hours, and information about online tutoring, visit wrc.uncc.edu. For the Fall 2020 semester, the WRC will operate online-only.
Student Referral Program
The Student Referral Program is for students whom you feel could benefit from consistent, weekly appointments. Please visit the Student Referral page for more information.
Resources for Effective Writing Instruction
Here are some key, research-based resources for the teaching and learning of writing:
- "Professional Knowledge for the Teaching of Writing" from the National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE)
- "Effective Composition Instruction: What Does the Research Show?"by Michael Carter, Carolyn R. Miller, and Ann M. Penrose
- "Scoring Rubrics" by David Martins
- "What I Wish I'd Known About Peer-Response Groups" by Ronald Barron
- Research on Writing Instruction Slide Presentation: View PDF | Download PPT